Other Ways You Can Help
Our Giving Philosophy
“The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”
At Transplant Unwrapped, we believe everyone can help in some way, big or small. This page provides a sampling of ways you can help members of the intestinal community.
Blood and platelet donation is a great way to support your loved ones and help those in need. Organ transplant patients may need blood transfusions due to blood loss. Blood and platelet donation can be a lifesaving gift for so many. Unsure about where to donate, visit the American Red Cross.
1. Volunteer your expertise and knowledge to Transplant Unwrapped. Contribute educational materials or another set of skills. Contact us with more information on how you think you may be able to help.
2. Become a Transplant Unwrapped Ambassador and help support others in similar situations.
3. Volunteer at your local transplant house or other 'home away from home' for patients. See our Centers page for a list of intestinal rehabilitation and transplantation centers in the US.
4. Volunteer at your local hospital. Visit the hospital's website and search for "Volunteer Services."
Little Things That Go a Long Way
1. Stay away from your transplant friends and family if you are sick: transplant patients have weakened immune systems and can become sick easily.
2. Wash your hands on a regular basis and wear a mask if asked- this is for the safety of the transplant patient.
3. Refrain from telling a chronically-ill patient "You look really good." Although we may look good on the outside, most often times we are struggling on the inside. Constantly hearing this comment can be frustrating and disheartening. A better comment to make is: "I am glad you are remaining positive through this tough time."
4. Always remember that an intestinal transplant (or intestinal rehabilitation) is not a cure. Your loved one still has many health battles along the way. Do not assume just because your loved one received a transplant or another treatment, that they are "all better." Continue to support them. Do not turn your back once they have received the transplant or another treatment.
Your Donation Makes A Difference!
No patient or family should have to endure the intestinal rehabilitation and transplantation process alone.
Karina shares the value of Transplant Unnwrapped for patients and families.
You can help make sure every patient and family feels our support in transplant.