top of page

Returning to School and Day Care

Talk to your transplant coordinator about when your child will be ready to return to school, preschool or day care. The transplant coordinator can also advise you of any special plans that may be needed. The goal for all transplant children is to attend school full time. This helps your child keep up with learning, socializing and physical activities.

Your transplant center may offer a hospital school program to help with studies when your child is in the hospital. Your transplant coordinator, social worker or hospital school program coordinator usually can help you with plans for your child’s return to school. 

This may include letters, guidelines, and options to help explain why your child may:

  • Need to return to school part time.

  • Not be able to receive certain vaccines that are needed to enroll in school.

  • Have limits on contact sports.

  • Need home-care school options for when your child is ill or unable to attend school full time.

Special Education Accommodations:

When your child is facing severe health problems, other challenges may arise when it comes to his or her education. Public schools can offer services and accommodations to students who qualify in order to help them reach their fullest potential while experiencing medical situations. It is best to reach out to the school counselor at your school or refer to the county website for information specific to your child's school and school system.

504 Plan:

Students can receive a 504 plan for a medical reason or for a learning process issue. The curriculum or material does not have to be modified or changed. Students can receive accommodations inside and outside of the classroom. 

For example, they can receive breaks when in the classroom setting. Students can have extended time in completing assignments, and the amount of assignments can be cut down if the students are showing mastery of the content. Doctors can also help the school in providing accommodations for the students.

IEP (Individualized Education Program):

Students need to be referred and go through an evaluation with a Child Study Team. Students who are experiencing challenges such as learning disabilities, ADHD, and emotional disorders may qualify for an IEP. If found eligible, students who are struggling to be successful in the classroom due to their disability or other health impairment can receive services through an IEP. The schoolwork must be modified, as these students cannot process the information like a general education student. These accommodations can be the same as the accommodations for the 504 plans, such as extended time on completing assignments, breaks during classroom instruction, and cutting down the workload to show mastery. Other accommodations include small group testing and read-aloud services.

Homebound Services:

Students who are going to be out for an extended period of time due to matters of illness, injury, or surgery may qualify for homebound services, which means that they can receive school instruction at home by a certified teacher provided by the public school system. The timing may differ from county to county, so please contact your school’s counselor for more information.

Returning to School and Day Care
bottom of page